The TALE... of a pioneer:
René Dopff took over Dopff & Irion in 1945.
He broke away from the old winemaking techniques and looked to the terroir rather than to the grape variety. He decided to divide the vineyard at Château de Riquewihr into four estates, which he rechristened with typically French names: Les Murailles, Les Sorcières, Les Maquisards and Les Amandiers. He opted for clearer labeling, abandoning gothic lettering in favour of a more sober script. These wines, made solely from the four noble grape varieties, expressed the very soul of the terroir. From that day on, each estate was dedicated to a particular variety. René Dopff then proceeded to ensure that his wines graced the best tables in France and the world over. He supplied wines to the Palais de l’Elysée, the French President’s residence, and for the launch of the luxury liner, “France”...
Dopff & Irion is proud of their inheritance and feel it is their duty to ensure that it continues to thrive and prosper. The love of wine, of their vines, and of the region is an invitation to a voyage through history to be shared and savoured.
Chateau de Riquewihr:
DESCRIPTION: The “tradition” line is produced with the grapes brought by our 200 selected vinegrowers. Immediate pressing. Fermentation in controlled temperatures (in order to keep the freshness). Storage on least for four weeks and maturing for six months in tanks before bottling.
- Sylvaner (90 %)
- Pinot Blanc (10 %)
- Good matching with starters, white fishes, mussels and cold fish paté.
- Perfect wine on its own or with a buffet.
- Pale-yellow color.
- Fresh, very pleasant, opened tea and mineral aromas.
- Well balanced, with an excellent freshness.
- A nice dry wine with an enjoyable fruit. Crisp, easy-drinking wine.
DESCRIPTION: The Cuvée René Dopff line is produced with the grapes brought by our 200 selected vine-growers. The region enjoyed classic winter weather that gradually softened into a light spell at the end of January. The spring weather remained variable and overcast with little rainfall. In July, a number of wineries carried out a green harvest, thereby assuring proper fall yields. Despite the heavy rains of August, fortune smiled on the region of Alsace with a return to favorable weather conditions in September. This temperate climate guaranteed a full ripening of the vines and preserved the perfectly healthy state of the grapes. This successful harvest boasts quality as well as quantity. The healthy vineyards produced grapes of excellent maturity and resilient acidity.
- 100 % Pinot Blanc
- Good matching with starters, white fishes, and cold fish pâté.
- Perfect wine on its own or with a buffet, specially in summer.
- Pale-yellow color.
- Fruity (white plum, peach) and fresh nose, with smoked flavors.
- Round and soft , well-balanced, with a nice freshness.
- Fresh fruit aromas.
DESCRIPTION: The Cuvée René Dopff line is produced with the grapes brought by our 200 selected vine-growers. Immediate pressing. Fermentation in controlled temperatures (in order to keep the freshness). Storage on lees for four weeks and maturing for four months in tanks before bottling.
- 100% Pinot Gris
- Fish courses, shellfish, poultry, game, white meat, mushrooms—a good turkey wine!
- Perfect on its own as well.
- Yellow color.
- Strong bouquet with smoked flavors and fruity notes (dried fruits and white fruits like peach, mirabelle plum.)
- Round and soft, well-balanced, without heaviness.
- With honey and wax aromas.
- A “gastronomic” Pinot Gris with an enjoyable fruit and body.
DESCRIPTION: TheCuvée René Dopff line is produced with the grapes brought by our 200 selected vine-growers. Immediate pressing. Fermentation in controlled temperatures (in order to keep the freshness). Storage on lees for four weeks and maturing for six months in tanks before bottling.
- 100 % Riesling
- Seafood and fish courses, such as: raw fish, marinated fish, scallops.
- Also, can pair with poultry.
- Pale-yellow color.
- Fresh, with white flowers and slightly mineral.
- Very charming! Well balanced, with a good weight.
- Citrus and green apple aromas and a hint of mineral.
- A Riesling with a nice fruitiness and good body.
- Very easily enjoyed!
DESCRIPTION: The Cuvée René Dopff line is produced with the grapes brought by our 200 selected vine-growers. Immediate pressing. Fermentation in controlled temperatures (in order to keep the freshness). Storage on lees for four weeks and maturing for six months in tanks before bottling.
- 100% Gewürztraminer
- A good Gewürztraminer for an apéritif or a smoked salmon and smoked meat.
- Matches very well with Oriental (spicy) cuisine and ethnic cuisine (Indian, Thai, Chinese, North African, etc.
- Worthy of interest with blue cheeses or Munster cheese, and soft strong flavored cheeses in general.
- Pale-yellow color.
- Very enjoyable and typical bouquet with floral aromas (rose) and exotic fruit notes (pineapple, mango, litchi).
- Round and soft, well-balanced and without heaviness.
- Long and aromatic, with litchi and exotic fruits.
- Nice and clean freshness on the aftertaste.
- A nice stylish Gewürztraminer with enjoyable fruit.
DESCRIPTION: The “Gentil” denomination is limited to blended superior quality wines from Alsace. The blend must contain a 50% minimum of AOC Alsace Riesling, Muscat, Pinot Gris, and/or Gewurztraminer. “Gentil” has to successfully pass a confirmation tasting following bottling, in order for it to be sold under this denomination.
- Gewurztraminer 23%
- Pinot gris 16%
- Riesling 16%
- Pinot blanc 25%
- Sylvaner 20%
- “Gentil Dopff-Irion” is a gastronomic offering that goes marvellously well with an entire meal.
- This par excellence social wine can be served during a friendly get together or as an aperitif with appetizers and tapas.
- “Gentil Dopff-Irion” will accompany your gastronomic trips throughout different continents. It excels with “fusion” cuisine.
- The robe is a yellow straw colour with green tints.
- Its fairly strong nose reveals delicate fruitiness and its aromatic palate mixes together notes ranging from roses and spices through to white fleshed fruit.
- The palate is very well-balanced, leaving an impression of great freshness.
- Dry and crisp, “Gentil Dopff-Irion” unveils subtle mineral notes, translating into purity and freshness. The texture is silky and fine.
Wine Enthusiast - 89 Points
2014: The aroma recalls ripe, juicy pear peel. Likewise, the palate sings with ripe pear notes, framed by a phenolic texture and countered by lively freshness. This wine is brisk, clean and fruity.
GRAPE VARIETY: Riesling & Pinot Gris
FOOD PAIRINGS: This easy to drink thirst-quenching wine skillfully underscores different food flavors. Indeed, it subtlety highlights the most unexpected gastronomic combinations. When served as an aperitif, it surprises one’s taste buds. Throughout an entire meal, DOUBLE IMPACT is perfect with spicy Asian cuisine. It is also a well-suited ally when it comes to accessible gastronomy and fusion cooking. DOUBLE IMPACT enhances some very nice pairings, provided by new styles of modern and inventive cuisine.
TASTING NOTES: This wine is a brilliant golden color. Ample, well-ripened and mellow, it exhales notes of fresh citrus fruit, lemon marmalade, orange peel and mild spices. Citrus fruit and pineapple flavors burst on the palate. This wine is especially impressive in terms of balance and offers plenty of length on the finish. Well-structured, it is at once rich and refined. Its attack is present with heaps of freshness and minerality. Full with good long lasting fruit.
Wine Enthusiast - 88 Points
2014: Slight notes of green pear hint at a fresh, lively and fruity palate. This is a light, easy summer wine of feather weight. Lemony freshness makes it ideal for a summer afternoon, with its freshly fruited finish.
Dopff & Irion's Crémants
All of our Crémants are brut. We obtain this result when we disgorge the sweet liqueur, by adding less than 15g/l of concentrated sugar (legal limit in the production of Crémant) to conserve the dry and elegant style of our Crémants. Our wines, like Champagne, are not vintage offerings, in order for us to blend different years, thereby ensuring excellent consistent quality..
DESCRIPTION: All of our Crémants are brut. We obtain this result when we disgorge the sweet liqueur, by adding less than 15g/l of concentrated sugar (legal limit in the production of Crémant) to conserve the dry and elegant style of our Crémants. Our wines, like Champagne, are not vintage offerings, in order for us to blend different years, thereby ensuring excellent consistent quality..
100% Pinot Noir
- Crémant Brut Rosé makes refined aperitif or cocktail wine and is ideal for receptions.
- Its freshness and finesse makes it a wine to be drunk throughout a meal, even with dessert.
- Serving : Crémant d’Alsace should be served at a temperature between 7 or 8° and can be appreciated at up to 50°F.
- Eye: Pink with tinges of orange.
- Nose: The bouquet is full of red berry fruit.
- Mouth: Lively, round and elegant on the palate. It is a harmonious wine with pleasant, long-lasting aromas.
DESCRIPTION: Crémant is a sparkling wine made from several different grape varieties using the traditional method. Pinot Blanc and l’Auxerrois are used more than any other for Blanc de Blancs but more and more Crémants are now being made from Riesling, Tokay Pinot-Gris, Pinot Noir (for Blancs de Noir and Rosé). The grapes are pressed whole and the base wine obtained is kept in tanks for approximately six months before it is bottled and yeast added for the sparkle to develop. Our wines are kept on wooden laths for 12 to 15 months before the sediment is removed. The history of sparkling wine production in Alsace is said to go back to around the year 1900, when Julien Dopff is said to have applied the "champagne method" to his own Alsatian wines with satisfactory results.
- 50% Pinot Blanc
- 50% Pinot Auxerrois
- It makes a refined aperitif or cocktail wine and is ideal for receptions.
- Its freshness and finesse make it a wine that can be enjoyed throughout a meal, even with dessert.
- Pale-yellow color with fine and light bubbles.
- The nose is characterized by fruit aromas such as green apple or lemon.
- The flavor is round and elegant.
- Well-balanced and perfectly dry, it has fine, persistent, lasting bubbles.
DESCRIPTION: The creation of this product has benefited from the careful attention of experts mastering in the “Art of Winemaking”. It is the fruition of a harmonious blend of 3 grape varieties selected for their exceptional quality: Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay and Auxerrois. Gentle
maturing for at least two years brings about rich characteristics of a rare complexity.
- Pinot Blanc,
- This is a gastronomic Crémant.
- Rich and complex, it is charming as an aperitif, but is also the perfect combination with scallops in a creamy sauce, grilled lobster, lemon chicken, veal and mushroom stew, as well as soft cheese such as valençay, camembert, saint-félicien and rocamadour… or with dessert, pairing especially well with peach, apricot or almond tarts.
- This wine boasts a shiny pale gold colour with a silver disk, fine and regular bubbles, as well as a lasting bead.
- The nose is delicate with dried almond and roasted hazelnut aromas, buttery notes, followed by scents of grapefruit, cake and white flowers.
- The palate is both elegant and full bodied, producing good depth underscored by buttered toast notes, with remarkable balance through to a persistent citrus finish.
DESCRIPTION: The heart of the estate is located on the abrupt hillside of the Grand Cru Schoenenbourg that overlooks the rooftops of the village of Riquewihr. It was named "Les Murailles" (walls) because the lower part of the slope borders on the village's medieval ramparts. Huddled against the Vosges mountain range, this hillside vineyard faces south and enjoys a mild, sunny climate, allowing the grapes to reach maximum maturity. The soil is composed of marls (pink, yellow and blue marl) and gypsum covered with a fine layer of sand and scree from Vosges sandstone.
- With grilled, raw or cooked-in-sauce seafood dishes, poultry, white meat, and goat's cheese.
- Perfect for roast pork or veal chop.
- This terroir is ideal for Riesling.
- Riesling is a late-maturing variety which allows itself to be guided by the terroir.
- The excellent microclimate on this estate allows Riesling to reach maximum maturity easily, even late in the autumn.
- The rich and varied soils also give Riesling its strength, complexity and aptitude for aging which stems from its precious acidity.
- As the years go by, Riesling's fruity, floral aromas give way to an expression of the terroir: nuances of honey, licorice, coffee and flint.
DESCRIPTION: Legend has it that witches were burned at the stake here, just outside the village. This is how the estate got its name "Les Sorcières", meaning "witches". But the site is full of charm and countrified grace with its romantic arbor and rounded hillsides. This gently sloping hillside faces southeast and is situated to the south of Riquewihr. This is an alluvial cone from a valley in the Vosges whose heavy, deep, clay soil is full of matter brought by the torrent that used to thunder down the mountainside. The sub-soil is composed of marl and some limestone inclusions.
FOOD PAIRINGS: “
- Gewurz” in German means spice.
- Gewürztraminer “Les Sorcières ” is rich and full in the mouth, a happy match for fish in spicy sauce (ginger sauce, sea bass with fennel) but it is also appreciated at home with sweet and sour dishes.
- This superb white wine can accompany cheese very well too—strong cheese as Munster, Epoisse, mature Brie de Meaux, and Blue Cheese.
- This terroir gives our Gewürztraminer its strength and finesse.
- Gewürztraminers have marvellous acidity and a wealth of aroma with more spicy notes than floral.
- It is a concentrated, powerful wine that is best drunk with food.
- It is elegant enough to accompany a wide range of dishes.
Grand Cru Selection A.O.C. ALSACE
Fabulous terroirs and exceptional wine makers – this is the story behind the Grands Crus. Parcels, famous for several centuries, premium grape varieties and frequently tasted wines to ensure a high standard of quality, combine to produce three treasures of Alsace: Schœnenbourg, Sporen and Vorbourg.
Schœnen Berge, meaning beautiful mountains, is the reputed Grand Cru of Riquewihr. It is made up of steep slopes (up to 380 meters in altitude). Facing south/south-east, it benefits from a micro-climate with slopes protected from cold winds and westerly weather conditions.
Geology: marl-sand-gypsum. Gypsum is a rock that is rarely found in Alsace.
It is always mixed with marls. Gypsum offers precious acidity associated with this terroir.
Its best expression is Grand Cru Schoenenbourg, which is famous for its Riesling.
The etymology of this terroir, celebrated since the early Middle Ages, comes from "Schoenen Berge" = beautiful mountains or "Schönenberg" = beautiful castle!
Tasting Notes: Boasting a golden yellow color, this Riesling is characterized by a complex bouquet exhaling fruity notes (citrus and apricot) and white flower aromas. The palate has a good attack with frank and strong features underscored by excellent acidity. It is very well-balanced with aromas evolving into slightly mineral notes. This is a superb Riesling marked by its terroir.
The ancestral vines of Vorbourg in Rouffach benefit from one of the driest and sunniest climates in the region. Its surface area of 72.55 ha is planted with Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris and Muscat.
Geology: chalky-sandstone. This is a dry soil with good drainage.
Its terroir produces strong wines expressing good finesse, discretion and freshness.
The wines’ highly floral and fruity aromas evolve over the years into notes of honey, well-ripened fruit and flint stone.
Situated south of the vineyard of Alsace, Grand Cru Vorbourg (= "the forward moving mountain" also known as the Vosges) benefits from one of the driest climates in France thanks to the protection offered by the Petit and the Grand Ballon d’Alsace.
Tasting Notes: This wine is a deep golden color, with a nose at once honeyed, elegant and concentrated. The attack is often frank with a palate expressing great finesse and good harmony where aromas of yellow fruit and stewed pineapple combine. The terroir’s personality is more expressive on the full and persistent finish. This is an age-worthy wine that can be left in the cellar for a couple of years.