Marqués de Vargas - Rioja
The new consultant at Marqués de Vargas
The words Marqués de Vargas conjure up in the world of wine the story of four generations dedicated to the production and sale of outstanding Rioja wines. This great winery located in one of the most privileged parts of the Rioja Alta region, will from 1 February boast one of the most prestigious oenologists working today: Xavier Ausás.
Born in Girona but raised in Valladolid, 47-year-old Xavier Ausás has trained at the most prestigious French winemaking institutions, such as the School of Viticulture and Oenology of Blanquefort (Bordeaux) and the National Oenology Institute at Paul Sabatier University (Toulouse).
He joined Vega Sicilia on a work experience programme, and by the age of just 29 was the head of the technical department of the prestigious Spanish winemaking group, where he produced its iconic wines for 25 years.
For Xavier this new project is a real honour:
“Marqués de Vargas is a flagship among the wineries that helped change the perception of the great wines of Rioja at the end of the last century. A winery with a clear and distinct philosophy, producing unique wines that express the qualities of the Rioja Alta, while at the same time reflecting the distinctive characteristics of the “terroir” they come from”.
“My aim, together with the new team, is to undertake major efforts to improve both the viticulture and the oenological practices, all within the context of a project for qualitative growth and continuous improvement”.
- The Control Board officially rated the 2014 Rioja vintage as “GOOD” with much better results in quantity and quality than the previous vintage 2013.
- After a growing cycle with very favourable weather, the vineyard showed excellent canopy development and plant health at the end of the ripening, but the last third of the harvest was affected by bad weather.
- This required once again to show how well prepared we are to face such situations and get the best out of each plot through selective harvesting.
- Adverse effects were minimized in the vineyard which had received appropriate treatment —cluster thinning, leaf plucking, etc. which allowed us to make a wine with an excellent quality
- 100% Tempranillo
FOOD PAIRINGS: Pairs with all kinds of food because it’s savory. Roasted vegetables and cured meats, lasagna, pizza or even Mexican food.
TASTING NOTES: Color: clear, deep black cherry colour, with violet rims and fine legs. Nose: clean on the nose with pronounced intensity and remarkable ripe fruit aromas, perfectly mingled with some spicy notes and subtle sweet undertones of cacao. Palate: vibrant, well-balanced wine with a nice structure and integrated tannins from its ageing in oak barrels. A rich mouthful of ripe red fruit and silky palate. Rich and fresh in style, with a well-balanced acidity and an elegant and good finish.
Wine Spectator - 87 Points
This polished red is harmonious and on the savory side, showing focused flavors of black cherry, licorice and smoke, with firm acidity and light tannins. Drink now through 2022.
- The handpicked grapes used for the Marqués de Vargas Reserva come from our vineyard “Hacienda Pradolagar”.
- Vineyard: “Pradolagar” (50 ha of bush vines) with the average age of vines of 31 years.
- Poor, shallow, infertile calcareous – clay soils and free drainage to promote moderate vegetative vigour.
- 75% Tempranillo
- 25% other varieties
FOOD PAIRINGS: Beef sirloin steak with baby spinach, beef carpaccio with parmesan cheese.
TASTING NOTES: Color: Richly coloured, deep black cherry hue with violet rims. Nose: Excellent combination of red berries like wild strawberries and raspberries with undertones of sweet liquorice. Palate: The palate is full-bodied and luscious with velvety texture. Great well-balanced acidity together with silky tannins trigger warm velvety mouth feel. Exceptionally elegant wine, full of freshness and great complexity.
2012 Vintage: Wine Spectator - 91 Points
Black cherry, licorice, leafy and cocoa flavors mingle in this elegant, harmonious red, which has polish and density, with well-integrated tannins and fresh acidity. Drink now through 2024. 1,500 cases imported.–TM
- The handpicked and carefully selected grapes in boxes of 15 kg come from our 3 single vineyard plots: “El Consul”, “La Misela” and “Terrazas”.
- Marqués de Vargas subscribes to the environmentally friendly concept and practice of sustainable winegrowing.
- Herbicides and pesticides are not used in our vineyards.
- The wine is made traditionally according to the old-world methods side by side with the latest technology.
- The wine is bottled without any fining or filtering, resulting in an unprocessed and fully natural wine.
- 63% Tempranillo
- 4% Mazuelo
- 8% Garnacha
- 25% Others
FOOD PAIRINGS: Roasts, games, stews, red meat (sirloin), grilled meats with roast potatoes or Iberian ham.
TASTING NOTES: Deep black cherry colour with violet rims and dark-chocolaty undertones. Fragrance of dark fruit as blackberries and mulberries enriched with aromas of violets. Extraordinarily complex and refined nose with developing hints of menthol and balsamic notes. On the palate, well combined tannins from oak and fruit add structure, notes of a wide spectrum of fruit flavours. Concentrated, sophisticated, elegant and great for extended cellaring. Serving suggestions: Temperature 60-62ºF and decanting before serving is highly recommended.
- The handpicked and manually selected grapes in 15 kg boxes come from our single vineyard site and only 6,750 litres were made of this boutique wine, which is aged in 30 new Russian and French oak barrels.
- 40% Tempranillo
- 10% Mazuelo
- 10% Garnacha
- 40% Others
FOOD PAIRINGS: Rich pasta dishes, Game pie, Dry aged rib-eye fillet.
TASTING NOTES: Color: Deep intense black cherry colour with violet rims and brick red hues. Nose: Rich and balanced nose with complex aromas of ripe fruit, blackcurrant, wild cherry, coffee, liquorice and smoky undertones. Palate: Spicy tones and excellent oak balance. Full bodied and elegant palate due to a perfect balance between the tannins of the grapes, the oak and the acidity. Richly textured with powerful tannins and lingering finish. This wine perfectly reflects the sense of the “terroir”. Serving suggestions: Temperature 60-62ºF and decanting before serving is highly recommended.
2007 Vintage | Tech Sheet | Sell Sheet | POS | Label | Bottle Shot