Pazo de San Mauro - Rias Baixas
The pazo, or country house, that presides over the estate and gives it its name is located in Salvaterra do Miño by the banks of the river. In 2003, Marqués de Vargas Family Wines and Estates acquired Pazo de San Mauro, a 30 hectare vineyard in Rías Baixas in the Condado de Tea sub-zone.
Pazo de San Mauro originally belonged to the noble Spanish and Portuguese Pereira de Castro family, descendants of King Sancho I of Portugal. It was built in 1591. Its history has always been entwined with that of wine production, because the remains of an old press room prove that wine was produced here in the 16th century.
Huge investment has been made into the property since it was purchased; its noble buildings have been restored and a new winery built with the latest technology for the best possible wine production.
The magic of a unique place
Our winery is located in Condado de Tea, the southern-most and sunniest area of Denomination of Origin Rías Baixas. It has an exceptional microclimate with Atlantic influences noted for its gentle temperatures and heavy rainfall. It also has the necessary number of ideal daylight hours that ensure the vines in Pazo de San Mauro mature fully and early. This provides us with greater precision and quality when producing our wines.
Another special characteristic is the geologically ancient granite content of the soil that gives the wine its complex, mineral character.
Together, these factors mean that we can successfully obtain and sell wines of the highest quality.
- A monovarietal wine resulting from a meticulous selection of the best grapes on the property.
- The vineyards extend on rolling banks of the river Miño, creating a natural amphitheater, bathed in extraordinary sunlight during the midday hours.
- The vines are planted on trellises so that the fruit, in very restricted production, grow in optimum conditions and reaching their peak quality.
- 100% Albariño
FOOD PAIRINGS: Excellent accompaniment to grilled crayfish, crabs and all kinds of seafood, white fish, sushi and soft cheese and rice.
TASTING NOTES: Pronounced varietal personality with a clear, bright lemon colour. Intense fruit and floral aromas on the nose. Dry, fresh and highly aromatic with a good acidity and a nice balance. The mouthful and velvet palate shows mineral notes and a complex structure.
Sanamaro is only produced those years when we reach an extraordinary maduration at our vineyards. Matured on fine lees in small stainless steel vats for a period of 3 month during which battonage (lees stirring) is carried out periodically, enhancing the expression of ripe fruit, accompanied by balsamic notes and minerality provided by the Galician granite soil.
- A special wine resulting from a meticulous selection of the very best grapes on the property.
- The vineyards extend on rolling banks of the river Miño creating a natural amphitheater, bathed in extraordinary sunlight during the midday hours.
- The vines are planted on trellises so that the fruit, in low-yield production, grow in optimum conditions and reach their peak quality.
- Albariño (90%)
- Loureiro (10%)
FOOD PAIRINGS: Smoked salmon, pasta salad, lobster risotto, or shellfish paella. Ideal temperature of consumption between 50–52ºF.
TASTING NOTES: Highly aromatic, with complex notes of ripe, white and stone fruit, all of them associated with the albariño grape variety. Fruit notes that combine perfectly with the aromatic herb nuances from the Loureiro grape. Round and silky on the palate, with a good structure and a mineral touch provided by our terroir. A single-estate wine, with long and intense aftertaste. An elegant wine with Atlantic influences and a great complexity.
Pazo San Mauro is located in Pontevedra