TOKARA is a picture perfect destination which offers visitors a unique combination of award-winning wines, brandy and olive oils, a gallery of fine art, a restaurant featuring one of South Africa’s leading chefs as well as a delicatessen.
TOKARA prides itself on making wines that are site specific. Even though vineyards were initially planted on the southern slopes of the Simonsberg Mountain at the Stellenbosch property, two other farms, Highlands in the Elgin district and Siberia in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley near Hermanus, were additionally acquired. In doing so TOKARA is able to produce wines which express the distinct characteristics of these three prime wine producing regions.
The TOKARA farm was purchased in 1994 by GT Ferreira for residential purposes, but it wasn’t long before the great potential for planting vineyards was recognised and explored. Classic varietals were planted on the 400m above sea-level slopes. The cool air and low temperatures contribute to the excellent quality of TOKARA Wines.
The wine production and marketing facility was designed to reflect the character of the wines themselves – innovative and distinctive. Spaces interact efficiently, with practicality being a core element. The winery’s operational layout incorporates cutting-edge technologies and computerised control systems to ensure all TOKARA wines meet the necessary standards of excellence.
“All of Tokara’s wines are sourced from their own vineyards in
Stellenbosch, Walker Bay and Elgin. Winemaker Miles Mossop
took me through their portfolio of wines that includes some
of the finest Cabernet-based blends that I have tasted and
a stunning Sauvignon Blanc.” - WINE ADVOCATE
- This wine is made from grapes harvested from the TOKARA vineyards in Stellenbosch, Elgin and the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley (Walker Bay).
- The vineyards crop at between 4 and 10 t/ha and the grapes are harvested at various degrees of ripeness from 20.5 to 23 degrees balling, depending on acid, pH, flavour intensity and profile.
- A small portion of barrel fermented wine and 5% of Semillon is blended in to the wine.
- 95% Sauvignon Blanc
- 5% Semillion
FOOD PAIRINGS: Best served cold and drunk as an aperitif or served with fresh summer foods such as fresh wild oysters, asparagus with hollandaise sauce or fresh grilled yellowtail with sauce verde.
- The wine displays a vibrant deep straw colour with flecks of green.
- The aromas on the nose are a melange ripe tropical fruits such as guava, papaya and passion fruit intermingled with the more herbaceous aromas indicative of a cooler climate Sauvignon blanc such as asparagus, nettles and fresh cut grass.
- On the palate the wine is surprisingly full and rich with mouth filling flavours reminiscent of the characters on the nose.
- The Mid palate is broad and textured but the finish fresh and clean. Unmistakably Sauvignon blanc.
2016 Vintage | Tech Sheet | Sell Sheet | POS | Label | Bottle Shot
- The grapes originated from TOKARA’s three properties in Stellenbosch, Elgin and the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley (Walker Bay).
- There are also grapes bought in from neighbouring properties in the Banghoek Valley in Stellenbosch.
- 100% Chardonnay
FOOD PAIRINGS: A perfect pairing with fish and chicken dishes or served as an aperitif.
- The wine has a vibrant light golden straw colour.
- The nose has aromas of lemon preserve, lemon blossom and a hint of toasted almonds and buttered toast.
- The entry on the palate is fresh and vibrant with stunning lemon zest, toasted brioche, and marzipan flavours.
- The mid palate is full and rich but leads to a beautiful crisp lingering finish with a hint of flinty minerality on the end.
- All the grapes originated from TOKARA’s vineyards in Stellenbosch, yielding between 4 and 8 t/ha.
- 85% Cabernet Sauvignon
- 8% Petit Verdot
- 5% Malbec
- 2% Merlot
FOOD PAIRINGS: Enjoy with grilled veal chops or roast pork or a fantastic piece of steak. This wine will drink well now but will benefit from cellaring and be at its best from 2013 through to 2016.
- The wine has a brilliant ruby red colour.
- The nose has aromas of dark cherries, cassis and briary fruit.
- There are high tone notes of khakibos, dried herbs and a hint of mint.
- The palate has rich flavours of dark, cherries, Christmas cake with a hint of cedar and spice.
- The mid-palate is full and rich which then leads to dry textured finish.
- There is a certain savoury character on the finish balanced by a touch of sweet oak.
- The TOKARA Premium wines are made from top quality grapes exclusively from our own vineyards.
- As a result a specific sense of place finds expression in the complexity and richness of the TOKARA wines.
- Balance, texture, elegance and the ability to age are distinctive traits of the TOKARA Premium range of wines.
- 88% Shiraz
- 12% Mourvedre
FOOD PAIRINGS: Herb crusted lamb, pork belly or grilled ostrich served with roasted seasonal vegetables.
- The wine has a vibrant ruby colour.
- The aromas are reminiscent of fresh red berries, hints of blackberries and cherries.
- There is a hint of five spice and wild herbs on the nose.
- The palate is vibrant and alive.
- The wine hasstunning flavours of bright red fruits, dried herbs and sour cherries.
- This 100% Sauvignon Blanc is made from grapes grown on TOKARA’s Highlands farm in Elgin.
- The vines crop at around 5 tons/hectare.
- 100% Sauvignon Blanc
FOOD PAIRINGS: This wine is best savoured with delicate foods such as white asparagus with a hollandaise sauce, tuna cerviche, backed salmon with a dill & cream dressing served with roasted fennel bulb, fresh oysters or seared tuna. This wine drinks well immediately after release but will be at its best 2 to 5 years after harvest.
- The wine displays a beautiful pale straw colour with a hint of green.
- The nose is subtle and perfumed. The aromas are that of nettles, lemongrass, green figs and cape gooseberries.
- The wine enters the palate with amazing clarity and freshness.
- The characters are typical of that of a cool climate Sauvignon blanc with gooseberry and guava fruit characters and a textured minerality on the mid.
- The finish is clean, fresh and persistent.
- The grapes originated from three vineyards in close proximity to each other on the south facing slopes of the Simonsberg Mountain on TOKARA’s Stellenbosch property.
- The vineyards are at altitudes of between 350 and 400 meters above sea level and the soil type is predominantly Oakleaf with various amounts of gravel and stone content.
- 100% Chardonnay
FOOD PAIRINGS: To be enjoyed with food such as duck breast salad, quail with a saffron and citrus sauce. Grilled game fish and veal are good meals to pair with this wine.
- The wine has a vibrant golden straw colour.
- The nose has intense aromas of lemon blossom, lemon zest and honeysuckle.
- The underlying notes of toasted brioche and roasted almonds are heady and intense.
- The wine inters the palate full and rich in flavour emulating the aromas on the nose.
- The flavours are reminiscent of lemon drops and white pepper with a rich creamy mid palate from the ageing on the lees on barrel.
- The finish has toasted almond and spicy notes with a stunning freshness that lingers forever
2015 Vintage | Tech Sheet | Sell Sheet | POS | Label | Bottle Shot
2013 Vintage | Tech Sheet | Sell Sheet | POS | Label | Bottle Shot
- The grapes originated from TOKARA’s premium vineyards on the slopes of Simonsberg Mountain.
- Only grapes from the best blocks and from the best parts of these blocks are used.
- The average yield is between 3 and 10 t/ha.
- Cabernet Sauvignon 67%
- Petit Verdot 20%
- Merlot 8%
- Malbec 5%
FOOD PAIRINGS: Veal Osso Bucco or Grilled fillet steak served with red wine sauce, bone marrow, shallots and French fries.
- The wine has an intense deep garnet colour with stunning clarity.
- The aromas on the nose are classic for this style of wine.
- Heady notes of cassis, black berries and dark cherries.
- There is a slight herbal lift and freshness to the nose with hints of tomato puree and tomato leaf and the typical hint of mint which is indicative of its origin.
- The grapes originated from TOKARA’s property in Stellenbosch.
- 71% Sauvignon Blanc
- 29% Semillon.
FOOD PAIRINGS: This wine is best served with pan-seared scallops or fresh West Coast crayfish and homemade mayonnaise. It also pairs well with a grilled chicken breast salad. Can be drunk from 2013 but will age well until 2018.
- This wine has a stunning vibrant ngolden hue with flecks of green on the rim.
- The aromas are pungent and intense with notes of cassis, passion fruit lemon grass and a hint of toasted brioche.
- The entry on the palate is crisp and clean with intense flavours of lime, lemongrass, passion fruit and guava.
- The mid palate has creamy notes but is overall crisp and chalky leading to an intense aftertaste of nettles and a hint of saltiness.